Visit our blog

Historic Buildings and Sites

St. Michael’s Church & The Old Vicarage

St Michael's Church now

The church of St. Michael, rebuilt in the year 1797, on the site of the ancient one, is a substantial stone building in the Grecian style, with a finely proportioned square tower containing six bells (hence the name of the nearby pub — “The Six Bells”) and a clock; the interior consists of nave, aisles and galleries and a fine toned organ (by Walter of London); it has sittings for upwards of 1,000 persons, of which 400 are free. The living is a vicarage, value £300 yearly, with residence and 25 acres of glebe land in the gift of two trustees; the Rev. George Edward Yate MA is vicar. (Description from the 1863 Post Office Directory for Shropshire.)

Unusually for an Anglican church, the rood screen includes a carving of St. Joan of Arc — it was bought at a bargain price having originally been intended for a Catholic church.

Photo March 2000.

Church Street. Designed by Thomas Telford (one of only 2 buildings to be designed by him in what is now the town of Telford).

The Rev. John Fletcher, vicar here in the late 18th century, was a close friend of John Wesley, the founder of Methodism.

Click the photo to enlarge it.


John Fletcher's grave

The grave of John Fletcher, Vicar of Madeley 1759 — 1785.

Fletcher, born in Switzerland Jean Guillaume de la Flechere, was a close friend of Charles Wesley, one of the founders of Methodism,who regularly preached in Madeley.

Click here to return to Fletcher Methodist Church

Click the photo to enlarge it.


Grave of the Nine Men of Madeley

The grave in St Michael's Churchyard of the “Nine Men of Madeley” (the youngest, William Onions, was a boy of 12) — killed at the Brick Kiln Leasow (or Lane) Crawstone (a variety of ironstone) Pit on Tuesday 27th September 1864 when the loops of chain on which they were raised and lowered became detached from the winding rope as they were ascending the shaft and they plunged to the bottom of the pit.

Click the photo to enlarge it.


Old Vicarage

The Old Vicarage, once the home of John Fletcher.

If you look closely at the photo you will see that almost all of the windows are fakes — this was to reduce the amount of window tax payable in the eighteenth century

Click the photo to enlarge it.


More about St Michael's Church from another website.